Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Who inspires you?


Sunday night my ears were rejuvenated with the music of Cave In. One of my favorite bands of all-time and it's surprising to think I've been listening to them for over eleven years now! It's sad to admit that it's rare that I get excited as a school boy these days over going to see another band. My tastes are more discernible, I've outgrown so bands I use to like and frankly I'm just not as easily impressed as I use to be growing up going to shows every weekend. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that less and less of my friends go to shows when every show use to be such a gathering; an event. Now if I want to go to see a band, the friends I have that are willing to go are few and far between for various reasons but mostly money, time, disinterest. Bummer. But sometimes you gotta suck it up, accept that things are different and just go to the show!

Luckily I wasn't alone in my excitement. My long time friend since 8th grade, Erin, was just as excited to go this show as me. Cave In isn't broken up but they play very infrequently and put out releases even more infrequently and have so for the past 5 years. Recently they released a new ep "Planets of Old"and had a "reunion" show of sorts at Great Scott in Allston, MA and the video footage proved they were still on top of their game and my hopes were lifted knowing that a show may be in my near future.




The show was fucking awesome. The sound was amazing and louder than god. The setlist was filled with old favorites and spanned their career leading up to their most recent ep.They even played some brand new songs which leads me to believe they are cooking up a full length.Seeing the original lineup once again made for a great show. You could even tell by the way they all performed that they were psyched to be together and playing these songs. They played a nice long set and ended with 2 songs off of my favorite record of theirs "Until Your Heart Stops". This band inspires me to continually push harder with my music and my passion. The show could not have been any better and it made the 4hr round-trip drive from CT totally worth it (unlike last week when I drove the same 4hrs and paid $35 to see Glassjaw have band practice publicly...)

If the universe were fair, Cave In would be as big as Mastodon right now but I'm thankful I get to enjoy them at all.


All good things.

-Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment