Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ticket prices and Canadian love.

Last night we played a show in Toronto with an $18 bill at the door. I heard Say Anything was playing down the street for a whopping $40 per ticket. Now I realize that Canadian prices are a little higher than the states for pretty much everything but that ticket price is insane.

The reason behind the recent hike is not because the bands are asking to make more money (we're living proof, we broke!), it is because there has been a steady decline in attendance at these live music events. If 300 people could be guaranteed at any given show any night, the promoter would be able to drop ticket prices by a few dollars and allow even more people to show up. Sadly, this situation is a double-edged sword; if you raise the price to cover costs, your attendance decreases.

I know that on a lot of tours (including ours), the ticket prices seem unreal and I wanted to take it upon myself and my 4 best friends to clear the air. No one is being greedy, no one is making money, we just need more of you to come out and show your support. I'm only 23 and I remember being young and living for shows. I started working only to pay for my twice a week habit. The right show can make an average Tuesday evening feel like your birthday. The best part was making friends! Does anyone make friends at live music events anymore? It seems like there are less and less of you out there now. Start the revolution! Start going to shows like its 2001! Make this happen!

I'm typing this in the dining room of our friend Shad. Real rad guy who was kind enough to give us a roof to sleep under in Toronto. Check him out at http://www.shadk.com/. Kid's got skiiiills. Check out this video (it won't let me embed for some reason), it won't disappoint.This is his neighbor's halloween decoration. A full sized witch that moves and talks AND her eyes light up. Scary as hell.

2 more days until halloween! I love this time of year. I wish I could've made it back to Salem.

Time to pack up and hit the dusty trail. We're playing Detroit tonight (It's the "d" in Detroit, anyone? anyone?) wish us luck! Last time we went through, the band left me at a gas station with no phone or wallet. Check out http://www.thebandlongway.com/. To this day, I owe them my life!

Be well, friends!

- Travis & TIA

1 comment:

  1. travis. i love you man. things have come a long way since 5$ shows. it seems like the whole punk ethic has been shit upon but i know you guys are doing your best with all the heart and integrity there is .
    can't wait to see you and the boys again
    -marty
    aka Mahhty Pahhty

    ReplyDelete